Sightseeing, shopping, arts, and dining - why not make a day of it?
Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, John Hancock Observatory is oh so close to the jazz and theater communities, world class shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
Top 10 in 5
Here's a list of the top 10 things to do within a 5-minute walk of John Hancock Observatory. Print it off and stick it in your bag.
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art for exhibitions of the most thought provoking art created since 1945.
- Take a Chicago Trolley Tour, a great value way to see the city's most sought after shopping, dining and attractions in around two hours.
- Grab a slice of culture at the Lookingglass Theatre Company, a new era of theatre in Chicago used for presentations, special events and intimate performances.
- Head to American Girl Place, where little girls can explore the worlds' of their favorite characters, dine with dolls and celebrate birthdays with friends.
- Go shopping on The Magnificent Mile® where you'll find flagship stores for brands like Apple and Burberry, plus, vertical malls that are home to hundreds of stores.
- Cruise Oak Street Beach, where bikini-clad beauties, businessmen with their trousers rolled up, musclemen, in-line skaters and families hang out.
- Get your photo taken next to the Chicago Water Tower. Since the Great Fire of 1871, the tower has become a symbol of old Chicago and the city's recovery from it.
- Sneak away to Hershey's 3,600ft retail store on The Magnificent Mile®, where you can customize giant chocolate bars with your very own message.
- Hail a horse-drawn carriage to the lakeside and past the manors of the Gold Coast. Trips depart just outside John Hancock Center.
- Check out the new Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
There are nearly 70 restaurants within a ¼ mile of John Hancock Observatory so you have plenty to choose from. Here are some of our favorites.
- Cheesecake Factory (John Hancock Center) – is it a menu or a novel? There is nothing you can't get here and the portions are ginormous.
- The Cape Cod Room (140 E. Walton-Famous Drake Hotel) – seafood recognized in the Fine Dining Hall of Fame.
- Foodlife (835 N. Michigan Ave) – comfort food, healthy food and snacks. Almost everything under one roof.
- Gibson's Steakhouse (1028 N. Rush St) – flashy steak house popular with politicians and Gold Coast singles crowd.
- Gino’s East (162 E. Superior) – a time-honored purveyor of deep-dish cooking.
- Giordano's (730 N. Rush St) – World Famous stuffed pizza.
- Grand Lux Café (600 North Michigan Avenue at Ontario) – casual cuisine from Thai and Caribbean, to classic American and European specialties.
- Lawry's the Prime Rib (100 E Ontario St) – the name says it all, yum!